Tuesday, January 12, 2010

We're SAFE!!!!

Dearest friends and family,

I am safe!! Please keep Haiti in your prayers as we just suffered a devastating 7.3 on the Richter scale earthquake this afternoon. The focus of the quake was just outside of the capital, Port Au Prince, demolishing parts of that large city. The main hospital for the country was leveled. Many government buildings collapsed, and the airport is currently closed. Thousands of casualties are suspected. I live on an island off the mainland, and thus far, we seem to faring well. The missionaries here are all okay. I sewed up some minor wounds, and we've heard reports of some structural damage to buildings. Our cell phones are out of service, but otherwise, most things are okay. We are still feeling the aftershocks. My fridge is on wheels and moved 6 inches away from the wall during the big quake. 

It's dangerous to cross the sea at night, so tomorrow morning we, the LaGonave missionaries, will see where we can help. Please pray with us that God will open the way before us in Port. Please join me in praying that the Lord will open a way for me to use my medical training. It's so hard to be so close to tragedy and suffering and yet still too far away to help.

Thank you! While I wrote this note, I've heard a voodoo parade pass by. I've also heard a nearby church singing hymns. Please keep us in your prayers!!

~Diane

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us know that you're okay Diane! You blog is great... the first place I looked to check on you. Love you tons and will keep you all in our prayers as you help Haiti. *Hugs*

Anonymous said...

glad your ok. i'll be praying for you. my uncle is heading down tomorrow likely via the dominican republic. i just started a new semester, or i might be trying to go down with him. i enjoy your blog.
Karlin

Anonymous said...

Praying that God will give you strength when you are able to help! So very glad you are ok!

Post a Comment