Wednesday, December 2, 2009

There's No Place Like Home

LaGonave is a wonderful place... a place I'm excited to call home for the next year. 


This past week was wonderful!!! On Thanksgiving morning, we left bright and early to head to LaGonave to celebrate with other Americans. We sat in the front of a huge truck (think along the lines of a Mack truck) and spent some time praying that we didn't hit any pedestrians, goats, or brightly painted taxi buses on the way to the boat dock. Matt was sitting in between our very skilled driver and I, and unfortunately was the only one without a seatbelt (I think maybe it increased his prayer life!!). Then we arrived at the Wesleyan wharf and were whisked across the sea in a speed boat by Butch Alexander, the director of WISH, or West Indies Self Help Organization. It was great! Usually, I don't associate Thanksgiving with speed boat rides and working on my tan! Here's some pics from the Wharf on the main land side:







It was absolutely wonderful!!! I really felt like I was home as soon as we arrived!! Dan and Joy Irvine are my amazing area directors (aka boss) and already call me one of their kids! Their 16 year old daughter Brooke feels like the little sister I never had but always wanted! Butch and his wife Trisha were also incredibly welcoming. It's neat to live in a place where you can unpack your bags and also your heart. 



We had a great Thanksgiving feast with all of us and a great group from Long Lake, NY, who were here for 10 days on a missions trip. I feasted only on green bean casserole and coconut pie (i'm still sticking to safe foods until these allergies die down), but it sure was yummy! To the right is Mois, Dan and Joy's future grandson (their daughter Beth and her husband are in the process of adopting him) playing with my token Thanksgiving decoration, an adorable scarecrow that my boyfriend's wonderful and thoughtful grandma sent down with me. Mois loved it!!


On Lagonave, there were many opportunities to be out amongst the people,  which was great for my Creole and my sightseeing!! In Port Au Prince, it is more difficult to get out right now as there have been several riots this month by upset students. Sadly, with Christmas coming, there is also an increase in kidnappings in the capitol. It's important for us to be extremely cautious at this time. Thankfully, it is much safer on LaGonave, and we even have the mayor in our English classes!



On one of our adventures, we hiked up to the top of one of the small mountains surrounding the town of Anse-ga-le, where I live. The view was incredible! You can see across the sea to the mountains back on the mainland! It was quite a workout, too, as most of our afternoons are 100-110 degrees!

I also got to visit at the hospital, and I can't wait to get started! I will start out working closely with the Haitian senior nurses, who are essentially nurse practitioners, as I learn more medical Creole and the ropes of their hospital. I will then rotate in their schedule of clinic, in-patient hospital, and on call work.  I'm so excited! i was also encouraged as I was able to understand much of what the hospital staff said to me and could communicate with many of the patients! 


One of my roles this year is to be the medical liaison for the hospital and American medical teams. I had my first duty in that role, and it was really fun! I got to write a thankful note for our supporters of the hospital. There are funds to provide milk to impoverished families with little babies, scholarships for the training of Haitian nurses, and an indigent fund for patients who cannot afford their medical care. It only costs $1-3 a day to stay in the hospital, and some cannot even afford that. Below is the story that I included in my thank you letter; I got to see the indigent benevolence fund in action for this patient, and I was so encouraged:




          One recipient of your contributions is Jazmin, a fifty year old woman who was recently admitted to the hospital with a case of severe high blood pressure. She suffered from a terrible headache, which can be a symptom that precedes or indicates a stroke. High blood pressure, and its complications such as stroke and eclampsia, are common in Haiti and often can go undetected due to lack of primary care. After several days on a new medication, her blood pressure reduced from 210/110 at arrival to 140/90 at discharge, and her headache completely resolved. During her hospital stay, she was visited by no one, which meant that no family member arrived with food to sustain her.  She has no money of her own with which to purchase a daily supply of the medicine that helped so much and could prevent a stroke. Her hospital stay and a supply of medication were provided for her by your generous donations, as her stay was paid for by the Indigent Benevolence Fund. Thank you for caring for this woman who had no one else to do so. 
(and when I found out at the time of discharge that she hadn't eaten in 3 days, I was so thankful that I had 2 little cookies in my purse and was able to share something with her!) 


Also, I had my first real experience with culture shock! It occurred when we transferred a patient. He had gotten into an argument with his brother, who threw a rock at him and broke his leg, resulting in an open tibial fracture. We wanted to transfer him to Port to see an othropedic surgeon. Well, in the States, a transfer means several phone calls, a whole lot of forms to sign, and figuring out how to transport the patient there. Here, it means writing a letter, addressing it to "whom it may concern," and letting the patient hop on the back of a motorcycle taxi to ride down to the wharf and catch a ferry into town. So different!!!!


I also got to be part of God's amazing timing! I had my first real patient (other than myself). Joy developed a funny little rash the day before I arrived. It burned, had blisters on a red base, and the pain radiated all down her leg and into the sole of her foot. She has chickenpox as a child and has had a lot on her plate this fall. She showed it to me about 24 hours after it started, and I got to see a classic case of shingles. The medication for shingles needs to be started within 48 hours of the onset of the rash, and thankfully, when we poked around the hospital pharmacy, we found exactly the right medicine. They only have that medicine because it can sometimes be helpful in HIV/AIDS patients, which we see frequently here. As I sat down to count out 200 pills for her (sadly, she needs to take 4 pills 5 times a day for 10 days; but it's exactly the right med), I saw a little pill counter on the table. I have very little experience in a pharmacy, but I moonlighted for an internist for 2 years. He runs a weight loss clinic and supplies his patients with medicines. Having worked for him, I know exactly how to use the pill counter!! How wonderful that God knew long ago that I would need that knowledge here in Haiti over Thanksgiving to treat a missionary!!! I'm so sorry that she has shingles, but I'm so glad that the Lord brought me at the right time and sent us the right medicine!!!




Yesterday, as we sailed away from LaGonave to return for a few more days of intensive language study, I felt a pang of homesickness. I miss LaGonave already! I had to snap a picture as we sailed away!


It's such an incredible feeling to know that you are exactly where God wants you doing exactly what He's gotten you ready to do in the strength that He provides! So cool!!! I can't wait to go back.


And we passed a boat full of people who had just gone out to the sandbar for a baptism:

I'm so excited to get back to that wonderful island! I'll be here in Port until Friday, and then a small group of us are going on a quick trip to the northern part of Haiti. We're going to see some of the missionaries and there work up there and then will spend a day sightseeing in Cape Haitian (i know, i know, another vacation! i promise i work some of the time! :). On Monday, we'll be back in Port to grocery shop (it's safer to buy meat from Port and it's the only place to get cheese and yogurt and white chocolate chips). Then by Tuesday, I can go home again!


There's no place like home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment