Saturday, May 22, 2010

Health and Haiti

Thank you soooo much for the sweet emails, love, and prayers as I recover from typhoid!! Thankfully, I'm finally starting to feel a little human again this morning. I have a little more energy, a little less abdominal pain, and a lot less nausea. Also, my labs returned to normal yesterday-- praise the Lord!! At the beginning of the week, my WBC was 3,000 and my Hct was 30, as can happen with typhoid. It's so nice that on paper, my body is getting better. Hopefully, the rest of me will follow along soon!!

My friend Caleb is doing food distribution, and he sent out this email update as a prayer request for our health. It so eloquently sums up my experience here, that I wanted to share it with you too:
Caleb

..."Actually, I would ask you to please pray for the health of all of the workers and missionaries here. It is true that Western hygiene and good diet help protect us but we need more than that. I don’t intend to be dramatic but this place is full of sickness and death, before and after the earthquake. I hear the death wails from the hospital so frequently I almost don’t notice them. Same with the stories, “oh so and so’s son died last night of an asthma attack.” “Oh him? Yes, his family was all killed.” “No, no, this was a different 3 year old who died of malnutrition.” I could write on and on, pages maybe, but my point is just that one gets used to this stuff it’s so common. And we who work here are only protected by the grace of God. It’s not that we deserve more protection than our brothers here, it’s that if we are to help them we have to be healthy and strong enough. God please give us that grace."

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment