Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Update

Hi, friends!


Just a quick update on life here! I realized today that I haven't written in a while...


It sure has been busy! But I usually prefer it that way. :o) I'm back home in LaGonave, and it's nice to unpack and settle in... to my little home, my work, and my relationships. 


Last weekend I hosted a surgical team from Canada. They were a great group and did 18 cases in 3.5 days! Wow! We sure were busy! I assisted with a C-section of twins, and the anesthesiologist taught me how to do spinal anesthesia! Otherwise, there's only one person here trained to do that, and when she was gone one day, an OB had to do a C-section with only local anesthetic, which is a good deal less effective. 


Since then, I learned how to run our guest house and am flying solo in its management for a few days. That's been fun and certainly keeps one busy! In the last 2 days, we've had people here from Canada, France, Scotland, the US, and missionaries from other parts of Haiti. Wow! The dinner conversations have been very eclectic and interesting! I found out from the Scottish guys that I'm famous over there! When I was working in the relief clinic in Peti Goave, they arrived one day like a Christian calvary. They swooped in with a ton of medicines and equipment, sweet smiles and sunny spirits, and swooped back out. While there, one of the guys made a quick video tape of me caring for a patient. I talked him through what I was doing, and they left. He used that video as a part of fundraising dinner in Scotland, and they raised over $100,000!!! Wow!!!


I've also been coordinating the arrival of thousands of pounds of donated medicines. It's been incredible to watch God provide for the needs of my hospital as we are no longer able to buy medicines since our supply line disintegrated with the earthquake. 


We're still experiencing "small" (4.8) aftershocks. Last night, I couldn't tell if my ceiling was shaking from those or from the rats racing around in my attic! Never a dull moment around here!


My Creole lessons will be starting in earnest again. I love to talk anyways, but language skills will be invaluable over these next few months of coordination and running the guest house. My old friend Esther (the 16 year old who hung out with me in Port in November) is coming over tomorrow to visit and drink lemonade and eat cookies and teach me Creole! I'm so excited to visit with her again!


One last thought... This morning my devos were on Eph 3:14-21, and it talks about knowing the length and width and height and depth of the love of God which passes knowledge. What a miraculous thing to know His love, which is so incredibly great that it overwhelms our capacity to know things! THAT'S how much God loves us! Wow!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey babycakes! I love reading your blog and it comes as no surprise to me that you are a fundraising hit! I mean, besides being super good at what you do you are BEAUTIFUL to boot!!! Take care and don't get bit by a rat!

Gabie said...

We would love to contribute to your efforts ... please let us know how.

Blessings!

Unknown said...

Hey Diane. Exciting to see you doing mission work! Just saw your spotlight in the SCAPA news - had no idea your were full time missionary now. how is that working out as a PA - do you have a supervising down there or do they just accept you as a provider and you can practice within your scope? Blessings to you
Rebecca

Post a Comment